Facebook live streaming has grown exponentially. In fact, since 2016 it’s accumulated more than 3.5 billion broadcasts, and the daily average is doubling each year. This shows that Facebook Live isn’t going away anytime soon, and it’s worth it to learn how to live stream in order to reap the benefits. Read on to learn how to setup a live stream and connect with your viewers on Facebook!
How to Setup a Live Stream on Facebook
Facebook has made it as easy as possible to go live. Once you follow these steps, the next time you livestream will be a breeze. Of course, you also have the option of contacting Facebook support if you encounter any issues.
On Your Computer
It may seem daunting, but setting up a live stream is incredibly straightforward on your computer. Just be sure you have Google Chrome downloaded and use this web browser as you follow these steps.
- Click on Create Post at the top of your News Feed
- Click on … and then Live Video
- Write a description of what your live video will be about
- Click Go Live at the bottom right
On Your Phone
You can also go live from the Facebook app on your phone.
- Open your Facebook app
- At the top where you create a post, look for a camera icon and Live
- Click on this and allow the necessary camera and microphone permissions
- Click Start Live Video
- When you’re finished with your live video, click Finish
How to Setup a Live Stream with Computer Screen
If you want to show your computer screen while you go live, for instance, if you’re instructing people on where to navigate on your website or showing a slideshow, you’ll need to download streaming software.
The most popular software includes:
- Open Broadcaster Software (OBS)
- Streamlabs OBS
Here are a few others that are partnered with Facebook:
- Epiphan Webcaster X2
- LiveU Solo
- Livestream Studio
Browse their websites and look up reviews in order to find the right one that meets your needs.
Find Your Stream URL and Stream Key
You’ll need to input your Facebook stream URL and stream key into the streaming software you chose. Here’s a simple way to find all the information you need:
- Login to your Facebook Page and click Publishing Tools at the top
- In the left panel, click on Video Library
- Click on +Live in the top right corner
- A popup will appear with your stream URL and stream key
- Copy this information and paste it into the software you downloaded
Depending on the software you chose, where you paste the information can differ. However, you’ll usually find the right place to input your URL and stream key under a settings menu.
Then, you’ll find Custom Streaming Server or RTMP Server and enter the information there.
You’ll need to ensure that the software you downloaded meets Facebook’s live streaming video specifications. You’ll also need to remember that you can’t live stream for longer than 8 hours at a time.
- Resolution – 1280×720
- Frame Rate – 30 FPS
- Frame Type – Progressive Scan
- Keyframe Interval – 2 seconds
- Pixel Aspect Ratio – Square
- Video Bitrate – 4 Mbps maximum for 720p, 9Mbps for 1080p
- Video Codec – H.264 Main Profile (MP 77), H.264 High Profile (HiP 100), CBR
Luckily, most software that’s partnered with Facebook will do this automatically for you when you indicate you’re streaming to Facebook.
Once you’re live, here are a few tips on ways you can control and customize your live stream.
Add Someone to Your Live Stream
On your mobile device or your computer, if you want someone to join you on your live stream, tap and hold their comment. Then click on Bring [Name] on camera.
On your computer, you also have the option of clicking on the profile of the person you want to add in the top right. Clicking Add will send them an invitation.
Adding effects on your mobile device or computer is as simple as clicking on the symbol of a wand with a star on top. This will bring up all the effects you can choose from at the bottom of your screen – swiping will show more.
Benefits of Using Facebook Live
If you own a business, there’s a huge amount of benefits with consistent Facebook live streaming.
- You’ll be providing instant, valuable content
- Live streaming is easy – it doesn’t require editing
- Live streaming is inexpensive – all you need is your cellphone and Internet
- You can connect with your target audience directly
- You can increase awareness about events or product launches
- It drives more traffic to your Facebook Page
- You can give customers a behind-the-scenes experience
Simple and Effective Live Streaming
You’ve probably found that learning how to setup a live stream is actually a far simpler process than you assumed. Facebook wants to make the process as easy as possible in order to encourage more and more users to use the function.
The best part is that Facebook live streams work well. You don’t have to pay a large amount of money to stream and connect with customers, friends, co-workers, or family!
ExpertHelp is a fast and affordable way to connect with professionals that provide expert answers to your questions. Once you ask a question, you can ask as many follow-up questions as you like.
Do you have more questions about Facebook live streaming? Ask your question today!