Do you need help organizing your next event?
Parties are great, but they come with a lot of caveats. One is that if you’re the sole planner, there’s an incredible amount of work to do. Hosting a party is one thing, but hosting a cool party or event that people actually show up to is another.
When you’re busy prepping and planning, it’s going to be headache-inducing to have to communicate with all your guests. You have to let people know what kind of event it is, what to wear, who else they can invite, and let people know about any last-minute changes.
That’s why so many people use Facebook to promote events nowadays. In this post, we’re going to tell you why Facebook is still doing it right when it comes to events and then show you how to create a Facebook event of your own.
Don’t let a lack of communication get in the way of your event going off without a hitch. Use Facebook and you can focus on what really matters: making your event the best party of the year.
Why Do Facebook Events Work?
Why do Facebook events work?
There are a few main reasons. Did you know that there are 2.3 billion active monthly users on Facebook? That probably means that a good chunk of your friends and associates are regularly using it. This alone is the biggest reason why it works so well for planning events.
That’s not the only reason, though. Facebook has been one of the go-to event-planning platforms for a decade now, so this is often where people expect to see events of any size appear.
Facebook allows you to communicate freely with the people that are helping you plan the event as well as those attending. When someone’s invited to your event, they’ll receive a notification anytime something has changed or you’ve made an announcement.
This communication aspect is a key element of Facebook’s success when it comes to events. The real-time updates will keep everyone in the loop about what’s going on. It gives you the freedom to plan the way that you want to.
You can also gauge attendance with an event. If you want to boost attendance, you can instruct your guests to invite some guests of their own or if you want to restrict access, you can make it a private event.
Everything is easy to do on Facebook, so let’s dig in and figure out how to plan your event.
How to Create a Facebook Event
Creating a Facebook event takes as long as you want it to. It really depends on how detailed you want to be with your description, how specific you want to be with your guest list, and if you want to customize your event page.
Let’s start with the basics. Here’s how you create an event on Facebook:
- From your news feed (aka the front page), click the “Events” icon on the left menu.
- On the Events landing page, click the “+ Create Event” icon. This will start the creation process. A drop-down menu will appear where you can either choose to make it a private or public event. You can’t change a private event to a public event later, FYI.
- Once you’re on the event creation page, start with uploading a picture or choosing a theme. If you upload a photo, this is what your guests will see as the “cover photo” of the event. Facebook provides a bank of themes you can choose from, as well.
- Then, name your event, give it a location, date, a start and end time (if there is one…).
- Type in a description. This is where you’ll give your guests the rundown about why you’re holding the event, what’s going to happen at the event, and why your invitees need to attend. Be as brief or as long-winded as you please.
- Edit anything else that you want to. If you’ve made it a public event, for example, you can add keywords that’ll help interested people find the event page.
- Once you’re satisfied with the details of the event, scroll down to the bottom and click “Create” (or “Create Private Event”) and you’re event page will go live.
- Afterward, a screen will pop up, allowing you to invite people from your friend list to get the guest list started.
That’s it! In a few quick steps, you can create your event from scratch and start inviting people. Anytime you need to make edits, just go back to this page and you can edit any of the categories, including the name, the picture, the date and location, and the description.
You can promote the event directly on Facebook or link to it from your other social media accounts and your website (if you have one). If it’s an open event, you can encourage your guests to spread the word, invite people on Facebook, and link to it themselves.
Doing It On Your Phone
One more reason to create your event on Facebook is that you can do it from your phone. Just download the Facebook app and log in. From the front page, click the 3-bar icon, which will bring up a menu where you can click the “Events” icon.
From the Events page, click “Create” in the top right corner and select the type of event that you want (private or public). In the creation screen, you’ll essentially go through the same process as you do on your desktop version.
Fill in the title, click the camera icon to choose an event picture, then fill out the location, date, time, and description. When you’re done, scroll to the bottom and click “Publish”, then your event will be live. See? It’s just as easy to do on your phone.
Get Back to Planning
Being able to create, promote, and update your event directly on Facebook makes it so much easier to get back to planning.
The more time and money you save from avoiding having to make invitations and send out update emails, the more you can pour into the actual event. Learning how to create a Facebook event will create buzz around your party, but your hard work and planning will make it memorable.